- Alcohol and drugs are common contributors to sexual assault.
- Clinicians providing care to victims of sexual assault should take early evidence samples for toxicology and DNA evidence where possible.
- Forensic examination should address the different possible types of sexual assault.
- Preventive efforts should focus on providing education aimed at reducing the incidence of drug-facilitated sexual assault.
- Contributors: Bernadette Butler wrote the first draft of the manuscript. Both of the authors revised the manuscript for intellectual content and approved the version submitted for publication.Competing interests: None declared.